Benefits of Preventative Dentistry
Preventative Dentistry is a combination of good dental hygiene with regular dental appointments that as a result allow us to do our part in keeping your teeth and gums healthy.
Encouraging patients to attend regular visits improves oral hygiene, helps to maintain healthy teeth and gums and furthermore disease can be detected and treated before it becomes serious therefore saving you money on dental treatment in the long term. Also at each dental examination appointment the dentist will screen for oral cancer.
This approach to dentistry means:
- Fewer fillings
- Less dental decay
- More attractive teeth
- Reduced costs
- Helping to keep your teeth for life
For great advice another website to visit is the “My Teeth” website from Denplan which also has lots of tips and advice for patients.
Prevention of Gum Disease
Gum disease is also known as periodontal disease. The build up of dental plaque causes gum disease. Gums will become swollen and bleed due to dental plaque. Gum disease if left untreated may cause loss of bone around teeth and consequently tooth mobility.
Ways to prevent Gum Disease:
- Brush twice a day
- Clean between your teeth daily with floss
- Know your risk. Age, smoking, diet and genetics can all increase your risk for periodontal disease
- Regular visits to the dental hygienist helps to keep the teeth clean in addition to preventing gum disease. The dental hygienist is also great at giving advice on the best techniques for cleaning around the teeth to keep the gums healthy.
Prevention of Dental Decay
Tooth decay is the destruction of tooth structure. Tooth decay is caused when foods containing carbohydrates (sugars and starches) are left on the teeth. Bacteria which lives in the mouth digest the carbohydrates and turn them into acid. The acid dissolves the tooth structure and therefore creates cavities.
Ways to prevent dental decay:
- Brush twice a day
- Use a fluoridated tooth paste
- clean between your teeth daily with floss
- Avoid sugary foods
- Visit your dentist regularly